TITLE: Director of Underground
The purpose of the Underground is to provide a safe, supervised Christian atmosphere, reinforcing the need of solid education and good citizenship, for youth grades 6 – 12 as a doorway to Christian community. It is an afterschool program supervised by a qualified director and qualified adult volunteer staff. The Underground is held on the premises of Bergen United Methodist Church.
The Underground director is functionally accountable to the pastor and to Staff Parish Relations Team for administrative function.
- Must be a minimum of 23 years old.
- Individual should have a strong desire and interpersonal skills to work with pre-teens and teens, build positive relationships, striving to make a positive difference in each of their lives.
- Ability to organize, plan and implement weekly activities for youth
- Knowledge of appropriate referral resources and referral protocols.
- Able to work with community organizations promoting and building support for UG programs and in turn how we can help one another.
- Have access to automobile transportation and a good driving record.
- Able to positively work with a volunteer staff.
Position is a 10 month a year position for 10-15 hours per week to include 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, monthly meeting with volunteer staff and preparation time. There may be occasional summer hours required.
RESPONSIBILITIES FOR DIRECTOR:
- Oversee the planning and implementation of the underground after school program
- Model appropriate Christian morals and values.
- Recruit, train and schedule volunteer staff, support staff in decisions made in director’s absence.
- Meet with staff once a month to discuss future plans and programs and to find solutions to possible problems. Publish timely meeting notes with accountabilities.
- Insure safe youth participation. Implement discipline when necessary. Thoroughly document all incidents. (behavior, accident, extraordinary observations and issues)
- Keep records of attendance through sign-in logs as well as other statistics necessary for grant application and grant continuance.
- Enforce all organization policies, procedures and program rules and guidelines including “Safe Sanctuaries Policy”.
- Develop and produce a teen calendar of events.
- Refer troubled youth and family situations to appropriate agencies as needed.
- Purchase underground supplies working within underground budgets and complying with purchasing policies. Keep all expense and ‘asset’ purchase record details.
- Build appropriate relationships with youth to connect them to the Christian faith. Reinforce the need for good education and good citizenship.
- Encourage youth to further involvement in a local church and in youth group.
- Work with the pastor and ministry leaders to build a bridge between the Underground ministry and other ministries of the BUMC.
- Develop understanding of the grant assistance programs, application process and capability to implement.
- Develop a solid working/trusting relationship with the volunteer staff.