POSITION: YOUTH MINISTER
- To the Pastor for youth programming and function
- Administratively accountable to SPR (Staff Parish Relations)
- Performance evaluation to be done by the Pastor and SPR Chair at start, 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, then annually.
Must have a vibrant relationship with Jesus Christ, including the skill, and capability to lead youth from a variety of backgrounds to Christ, giving them love, hope, encouragement and a personal example of a Christian lifestyle and leadership. Youth minister needs to be knowledgeable in scripture, with skills in teaching and life application for young people.
HOURS AND SALARY:
This is a salaried position with 2 weeks paid vacation. Request for vacation must be submitted in writing to SPR Chair in advance for approval.
Youth Minister position is an average of 10-15 hours/week, more exact hours set prior to beginning employment.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF YOUTH MINISTER:
- Recruit, train, provide leadership, and cooperate with adult volunteers.
- Provide leadership and vision for regular youth group meetings. This includes working with youth, parents and volunteers, on the best content and activities to connect youth to Christ and Christian community.
- Meet weekly with the church pastor to review programs and develop strategies and goals.
- Regular reports to Council Board and/or SPR as requested.
- Pray for and with our youth.
- Provide proper supervision and leadership for youth before, during and after youth activities
- Organize & direct Jr. & Sr. High Youth programs (grades 6-12)
- Provide bible study with life application as an important part of the youth ministry.
- Attend worship at BUMC weekly and assist youth Sunday School classes as needed.
- Communicate and encourage our youth in person, by phone, social media, text and/or e-mail.
- Plan and initiate activities in line with the mission and vision of the church, for the purpose of connecting young people to God, each other, and the church. Communicate ministry to the Pastor, youth/parents, and appropriate others. The church budget provides a line expense item for youth activities. The Youth Pastor is accountable for these funds
- Work with youth to establish regular worship and Sunday School attendance as key to thriving as a follower of Jesus.
- Build relationships with Underground participants, church leadership, church congregation, parents of youth, and community members.
- Know, follow, and support church policies and procedures, including our Safe Sanctuaries policy.
- Be an advocate for BUMC and its mission, vision, and ministries.